Saturday, February 16, 2013

Dinks and other thoughts


Dinks and other thoughts

With over 200 boats anchored here, dinghies wander around this harbor winding their way from boat to boat or boat to dock.  We sit next to a protected area that must be avoided so almost no dinghy has a direct route to the dock from here yet, fortunately, many must pass by. The options for sitting (or standing) in a dinghy seem to have no limits.  The super cool approach is for the lady to stand in the front holding the painter (fancy name for the rope used to tie up the dink) while the gent sits in the rear (aft) to control the boat.  It seemed to serve no purpose this standing approach and is perhaps limited to short folk and the truly coordinated, but it does look pretty impressive and reeks of nautical proficiency.  After weeks of watching this standing act executed by a few skilled practitioners, I was informed that the technique is chosen not for the “coolness” factor, but to relieve stress on the back. Since learning this, Steve has been converted and stands whenever possible!

Another noticeable feature of dink watching is that the males are at the helm almost 99% of the time.  This is especially true when a couple is in the dink together.  Women drivers alone are only infrequently spotted.  So, I, of course, wanted to become proficient at dink handling. This can’t be so hard, can it? Steve has been patiently letting me practice – no standing for me although I do now appreciate the back strain which motivates it. I have yet to solo – but stay tuned. I also haven’t rammed any actual boats, only other inflatable dinghies.

 

The variety of dinghies in the harbor is also impressive.  We will include some photos which might speak more profoundly than my descriptions. One of my favorites looks like a padded shoebox lid with motors attached to the rear and a steering wheel. While this does not look seaworthy so far we have seen no need for any emergency rescues.  I also have enjoyed the fold up variety of dinghy. They are not as amusing as some of the homemade versions, but they are clever in their own way. Also, being hard (versus our inflatable) a little more stable, which brings me to another topic related to dinghies.  The techniques for entering and exiting a dinghy also seem infinite and infinitely amusing to observe. Thankfully I am spared any video footage of my own technique. (And, since I don’t have a telephoto lens, you will be spared photos of what we have seen.) Leaping into a bobbing rubber boat can be tricky – the dang things tend to move. Steve who is more agile than I, often leaps gracefully first and secures the mini-vessel to the swim platform while I attempt my move – timed to any wake or waves and plop safely onto the bow. Compared to getting out, the entrance is easy.  It requires upper body strength, timing and spring in the thighs to avoid a salt water bath.  So far I have managed, but I suspect my baptism is only a matter of time.  I am consoled by watching the other boaters, ok primarily the gentle ladies, crawl, claw, and clamber onto their boats.  I am eternally grateful that we are not on a sailboat or are forced to heave ourselves over the side. Less you think it is easier to exit or enter the dink from the dock, let me advise you the water and movement are still obstacles and often there is even less to hold onto. I think of it as my daily visit to the weight room for free! On the exercise topic, I read being on a boat one burns 15% more calories than on dry land.  I am beginning to get the reasoning as I flex the sore under used muscles need to just exist on this boat.  Then there are the bruises……We are both spotted with a variety of bungs and nicks of mysterious origin. Fortunately since we don’t remember what we did, they don’t hurt tooo much.










 
 

But I digress, dinks serve other purposes – you can find the party – the boat with all the dinks attached.  We also caught a heron using our dink one evening. The presence of a dink floating behind tells which boats have sailors on board which is handy when you need to borrow an egg or a motor. And, just recently we have discovered how to exist when the dink is out of commission. Steve went out in the dink to do a little bug hunting and was towed back with a malfunctioning water pump on our dink motor.  We hitched rides to the beach over the weekend waiting for the parts repair shops to open on a “work” day.  This requires hanging out on the back deck waiting for a big enough dink to pass close by – waving frantically to get their attention over the engine noise and bumming a lift to the dock. We reverse the procedure on the dock by hanging out waiting for a – not overloaded – dink to head our way. This has been a very entertaining way to meet our neighbors. The cruising world is friendly to say the least. Knock on wood, so far we have not been reduced to rowing…..much. Since the part is not due for a few more days a generous captain in the harbor has lent us a motor which has us back in business and even got Steve out bug hunting yet again – yum.
 



 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Learning a whole new vocabulary from your blog! Looks like the weather has been nice! We are having a COLD weekend here, but the sun is out today and the wind has died down so it's better than it was yesterday! Enjoy the rest of your stay there....hook up with one of those party boats!

    ReplyDelete